http://www.foundationcrossfit.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/FOUNDATION-header-768x352.png 0 0 Andrew http://www.foundationcrossfit.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/FOUNDATION-header-768x352.png Andrew2021-05-25 10:30:062021-05-25 00:02:41Weight Vest & Carrier Options
Weight Vest & Carrier Options
Someone asked for a weight vest the other day. If you are serious about taking your training to the next level you can also add a weight vest or plate carrier to your arsenal. It turns the bodyweight workouts into something way more complex.
With MURPH so close I’m not sure what the shipping times are like, but here are some weight carriers/vests I’ve used or tried in person. Prices definitely reflect quality:
- OneTigres Low-Profile Plate Carrier $81 https://amzn.to/34fgmfO. This style is nice because of the simple stretchy enclosure. The shoulder straps are also hook-and-loop adjustable. The mesh makes it fairly breathable, but there’s very little padding throughout.
- WarTechGears carrier-only for $45 https://amzn.to/3oLWBG4. It’s a solid option similar to some of those listed in the BETTER, but the quality of materials feels very cheap and I worry that it wouldn’t hold up over time.
- CAP Barbell’s 20lbs weighted vest $35 https://amzn.to/3bQonvZ. It works, but comfort (especially for those with bigger chests) will vary tons.
- MORPH Athletics (carrier & plates) for $160 https://www.morphathletic.com/collections/frontpage/products/20lbs-black-plate-carrier-vest-plates-included. These are another take on the BEST-level 5.11 carrier. Tons of padding throughout for comfort in movement, plenty of hook-and-loop for morale patches, MOLLE for pouch/accessory attachments, and best of all, a pair of plates included in the price.
- BEAR KOMPLEX Plate Carrier for $140 https://amzn.to/34fgmfO. This is the same brand of pullup grips we sell at the gym. A take on the BEST-level 5.11 carrier, it’s got a padded yoke for your shoulders and some quality industrial buckles on the sides. This lack of coverage on the side, paired with the DWR coating allows for increased breathability and moisture control. You can get it in Maroon or Navy on Prime.
- North Gym Carrier + Plates $180 https://amzn.to/3fhygF3. For those with wider and more muscular traps, this is similar to the other vests, but the straps are definitely wider.
- 5.11 Tactical Tac Tec Plate Carrier for $199 https://www.511tactical.com/tac-tec-plate-carrier.html. The best in the industry for its coverage and popularity amongst military and law enforcement. This company saw the need for the CrossFit civilians who wanted a higher-quality fitness vest and put out a product with tough materials. This is what I use.
- Rogue Fitness options $50 to $200. Tons to pick from the premiere seller for strength & conditioning athletes, including many of the options listed above. Haven’t had the chance, but they make their own weighted fitness vest which they make in-house.
And just in case you need weighted plates (not to be used as actual armor!), check out this $85 (to total a 20lbs carry) option available on Prime.
All Amazon links are affiliate links that add no cost to you.