By now you should know that the CrossFit Games Open season is here and starts in TWO days! Our 2017 FCF Intramural Open also begins on the same day.

Read THIS if you’re still not up to date.

I’ll wait…

CGO 16.1, where I participated while I was pregnant!

Now that you’re caught up, here’s what you to do if you’re being recruited courted by one of our team captains.

Step 1: say, “Hell yeah! Let’s do it!”
Step 2: Register for the CrossFit Games Open, select “Foundation CrossFit” as your affiliate AND team.
Step 3: Get ready to have some fun, show up, push yourself to new limits, and earn points for your team.

Easy three steps right? Get to it!

This years’ teams:
Team Thundercats
Team Blue Barracudas
Team FLEX Appeal

A roster from last Friday’s draft is up at the gym!

Here are a couple of FAQs:

– What happens if I get courted by multiple team captains?
Well, that’s up to you isn’t it? Accept one captain’s rose and say yes! so we make it clear as to whose team you’re on.

– I don’t want to compete in the Open, can I still be a part of a team?
Absolutely! You can still EARN POINTS for your team (see the points section of the #FCFio2017 post). Just let your team captain know.

– What is this really for?
FUN, some suffering, achieving PRs, supporting your community, and VERSUS X (on March 25th). If you’re not held accountable for your fitness, are you really achieving it? Why not push forward together?

– I’m going to be gone for one (or more) weekends while this is happening, should I still sign up?
YES! Did you know that there are thousands of gyms around the world? Check out the affiliate map to see what gym you will be nearby while traveling.

See you at the gym, let’s get it!

CGO 16.2 at FCF

The CrossFit Open is a worldwide online CrossFit competition and we’ve done it every year as a gym since its inception in 2011. This year we’re copying a fantastic idea from Catalyst Fitness’ Intramural Open idea… and I’m going to plagiarize the hell out of it! IT’S THAT GOOD OF AN IDEA.

CGO 15.4 at FCF

(Actually I’ll just their entire post and change the details as I see fit)

Our goals at Foundation: to educate and inspire. Competition helps with the ‘inspire’ part: the pressure to perform pushes you to train harder; the social boost of dozens of your best friends cheering for you will help you reach a higher plane. Heck, watching your teammates GO is inspiring!

Can we bring that worldwide thrill home? Can we deliver all the fun of competition without causing any anxiety attacks? We think so.

I’ve chosen three people to be Team Captains (who will also have Co-Captains and Lieutenants). We will have a private draft and you’ll be put onto a team. These Teams will go through the Open which will ultimately lead us to our intergym throwdown VERSUS X.

Who will claim the Golden Hammer?

CGO 15.3 at CFSLU

REGISTRATION

Registration for the Open can be done until 5pm on Monday 2/27 at games.crossfit.com, Choose ‘Foundation CrossFit’ as your Affiliate AND ‘Foundation CrossFit’ as your team.

CGO 14.4 at CFSLU

DRAFT

Coaches and the rest of the registered FCF fam will be ‘drafted’ onto an Intramural team. They won’t lose their spot on our Regional team, and their points will still count toward our Affiliate score worldwide, but we want to ensure even distribution of our most competitive athletes.

Once drafted onto a team you’ll be entered onto the public Team Rosters.

If you’re reading this and you haven’t registered for the CGO you’ll probably be courted by one of our Team Captains to join their team – probably more than one. Pick the most fun team!

CGO 14.3 at FCF

Points will be awarded by FCF HQ after every event.

+1 Point

Score Entry: If you are officially registered on the CrossFit Games site and plug in your official score after you do the workout you score a point! No excuses- plug your score into the website asap and we’ll always be able to see who did their duty.

Performance: Every member of a team that completes the Open workout anywhere in the world (so travelers can still help their teams) earn one point per performance, through proof of attendance to a CrossFit gym. This goes for Rx AND Scaled athletes.

Podium: Top 3 males AND Top 3 female athletes each earn one point for their teams. This also applies for both Rx and Scaled competitors.

Pride: Wear any of our official FCF gear during the your scored event and earn another point for your team.

Social: post a relavent picture or video to facebook or instagram, tag @foundationcrossfit #FCFio2017 #HYFRsquad, and earn your team a maximum of 1 point per week.

Judging: If you take and pass the 2017 Online Judges Course (see below) then you’ll be able to judge other athletes. Certified Judges will be able to earn another point for every performance judged.

+3 Points

Attendance: Every member of a team that completes the Open workout at the weekly throwdown on Saturdays at 10am earn their teams three points. This goes for Rx AND Scaled competitors.

Personal Records: If you perform your first-ever skill when grinding in a workout, your team will be awarded three extra points! Think chest-to-bar pullups, a new max snatch/CJ, handstand pushups, the elusive muscle-up, etc. Been in the Open before and the event is a repeat of a past event? Set a PR and earn a 3-pointer for your team!

+5 Points

Spirit: Who stands out and represents the spirit of Foundation CrossFit? The team with the most encouragement, noise, pride, and PRESENCE each week will receive 5 points per standout action. Multiple teams can win every week.

Judges Course: Take and pass the 2017 Online Judges Course and email the PDF to info@foundationcrossfit.com. You must send the PDF as an attachment. If you send a screenshot, it doesn’t count. If you forward me a link, it doesn’t count. Get me that PDF and I’ll give you your points!

CGO 13.5 at CFSLU

WORKOUTS

Athletes competing in the Open will have only four days to complete each workout. We haven’t yet set our schedule for competition. The Open will have five workouts over five weeks, with the fifth week including in VERSUS X, where your team points entering the event may sway the standings and winners. Think about it this way: the Open is a sport season and VERSUS are the playoffs (and championship).

As usual, you can be tested at any CrossFit class on the predetermined CGO day, which is Friday.

To earn your team even more points, show up to our weekly CGO Events on Saturdays from 10am to 12pm. This is the day to prep for, so that you can show up with your team and push it to the limit.

Make-ups are to be done on during our business hours and you’ll have to ask the coach on floor permission (which they might not give), as well as provide your own certified judge. This is why it’s so important to come in on Friday or Saturday.

2012 at FCF

PRIZES

We’ll have some random draws each week for prizes, including gear, socks, water bottles, clothing, training packages, and more! The top team will also earn a GRAND prize. Details released later!

2011 at FCF 3.0

SOCIAL

If you’re posting anything on Facebook and/or instagram make sure you tag the gym @foundationcrossfit as well as use the hashtag #FCFio2017!

IN SUMMARY

Our focus is on FUN. We want participation because it will keep you accountable, make you more fit, and it will get you high-fives and you’ll be happy and love life more and glow and glisten and stuff. Facts.

Register online at the CrossFit Games site, or don’t, and let’s start this party!

Whether you’ve been with us for 5+ years, a year, or a couple months or weeks you should know that we love to celebrate everything you accomplish within the gym. There’s a reason why we assign you journals to keep track of your workouts, progress, goals, and even the not-so-great performances. It’s so that you can always have a goal in mind when approaching a new or old workout. As your coaches we love to hear how you shaved a minute off of your previous “HELEN” or how you got that 1kg PR on a lift you’ve been working on for so long. Maybe you hate burpees less! Maybe you got ONE double under. Oh snap! You got one strict pull up!

That hard work doesn’t go unnoticed. So the next time you accomplish a goal, share it with us!

Ring the PR bell – LOUD and PROUD!

High-five every one in your class!

And write them in your journal.

We celebrate your accomplishments year round. Your hard work and results are a reward in itself but a prize wouldn’t hurt either don’t you think? Join the WOD Club!

Participation is optional and super easy. Count up all of your classes from your very first day at FCF (how convenient if you just completed our Foundations Program!) and show us your journals when you reach the next milestone: 50, 150, 300, 500, 750, or 1,000 workouts! The prizes are pretty sweet. PLUS you get to take an awesome sweaty photo after your workout. 🙂

If you haven’t already, check out our WODClub page for more info!

That’s right, we’re doing it again!

Last year Andrew found a great idea from Catalyst Fitness which brought forth FCF Intramural Open 2016. Our goal is essentially the same: to educate and inspire you. The participation in the Open (competition) naturally helps with the inspire aspect.

The pressure to perform pushes you to train harder; the social boost of dozens of your best friends cheering for you will help you reach a higher plane.

One of my favorite things about the Open is that last part: cheering each other on. The majority of our gym don’t have goals to make it to Regionals but we sure put our all into those workouts like we’re gunnin’ for it. We enjoy and we suffer together. The camaraderie that comes out of that mutual suffering is so rare and unique!

Can we bring that worldwide thrill home? Can we deliver all the fun of competition without causing any anxiety attacks? We think so.

Like last year, Andrew has chosen four people to be Team Captains and will be meeting this week to go through the private draft where you will be put onto a team. These teams will go through the Open and we’ll finish off the season with our intergym throwdown VERSUS 10!

The finer details to come by the end of the week. Get excited and be prepared to be courted by the team captains to join their team!

We would like to welcome our most recent Foundations On-Ramp Graduates! These new faces will be joining us in classes beginning this week. If you see a new face in class, introduce yourself and help us welcome them to our community and through their journey of CrossFit!

We have a busy month ahead with CGO 2017 beginning at the end of this month and going through March, (new Foundations grads encouraged to register!) therefore our next Foundations On-Ramp Course will begin April 4th. The details and registration for that course can be found here.

In case you haven’t noticed, 2017 is here! Trying to figure out what to do with all that fitness you’ve been building all winter? How about taking it outside!

Sarah and Colin are taking on a half Ironman this summer, this time in Victoria, BC. And we’re looking for a few brave souls to join us. What does it take to finish a half Ironman?

1.2 mile swim.

56 mile bike ride.

Ending with a 13.1 mile run.

All told it’ll take around 6 to 8 hours. Sound outrageous? It’s not bad! In fact, we’ve already got two friends joining us who have never attempted an organized endurance event before. To get ready, we’ll all follow the same programming that got us through our first Half-Ironman in 2015 (about 3-4 months of training). If you’re worried about the swim or have any other specific questions (most people do!), we’ll also be happy to help personalize a plan for you.

If you’re interested in learning more about what exactly Ironman training involves, track Sarah or Colin down at the gym, or email info@foundationcrossfit.com to get a hold of us.

Keep an eye out for training events this Spring. Even if you don’t want to complete a half Ironman, you’re welcome to improve your endurance and stamina by joining us on a run, bike ride or swim!

Now that the holidays are over, let’s celebrate again! Join us at Optimism Brewery this Saturday, January 21st. We have an area reserved for us beginning at 6pm. We know that’s a bit early but our presence in the space claims the area for additional hours PLUS those of you with kiddos can stop by before bedtime. Dog-kiddos are also welcome, the more the merrier!

So come by before your weekend festivities!

Other details:

• Outside food and non-alcoholic drinks are allowed in.
  • Charlie’s Buns & Stuff will be available for food purchases.
  • When purchasing a beverage, please let them know you are with our group as it counts against our reservation deposit.
  • Declan will be making an appearance!
  • Lily will be making an appearance!
  • Games!

See you there!

Coach Andrea here. I’m taking off my coaching hat for a minute and putting on my Mama hat.
I hate doctors. And hospitals. And anything medical. Blah.
So, when I found out I was pregnant I wanted to avoid the hospital because I knew it would be so stressful for me to be in that environment. I decided to use midwives and have an out of hospital birth. What started off as a decision based off of fear became a path that left me feeling so empowered and inspired about giving birth. You would be surprised at the judgement passed on me for not planning to have my baby in the “safety” of a hospital!
I am so passionate about spreading the message to men, women, and their families that they have a choice in what their prenatal, labor and delivery care looks like. So many think they have to give birth in a hospital and any thing else is dangerous! As CrossFitters, we train for functional movement, so why not explore the idea that giving birth (THE MOST FUNCTIONAL MOVEMENT A WOMAN CAN DO) can be in a setting where you feel comfortable and even enjoy the experience?
Declan is the best PR I’ve ever experienced and I can say with confidence that is in large part because of the experience I had with my midwives and laboring at the comfort of my own home while feeling totally safe. If you or anyone you know has any interest or questions about home birth, please come and support this great cause!

Please join us for a fundraiser screening and discussion of the documentary Why Not Home? We will carry on the generosity of this holiday season on January 15 to raise money for Open Arms Perinatal Services. Open Arms is the only non-profit providing doula services specifically for low-income women in Washington State.

After the film, join us for a discussion panel with local health care practitioners, hosted by Midwife Seattle. Discussion will be from 4pm-5pm. Light refreshments will be provided after the film.

About the film:

With the normalizing of hospital birth, the notion of home birth carries a certain stigma and evokes fear and judgment from many. Why not Home?​ ​reveals not only the scientific data about safety and interventions in birth, but also the beauty and value of this rite of passage. The documentary tells the stories of doctors, nurses, and midwives who have attended hundreds of hospital births, yet chose to have their children at home. This personal and intimate look at birth at home and in the hospital has the potential to influence people and policy in a way previously unseen.

Beyond the personal stories, Why Not Home? is a critical and thoroughly researched look at how we are providing maternity care in the US and the choices we are giving women and families about that care. Maternal mortality rates are rising in the US at a time when they are falling in every other industrialized country. Why Not Home? challenges viewers to move beyond the polarization and judgement that has plagued this issue for decades and instead embrace a more integrated and collaborative model for the future.

Why Not Home?
Sunday, ​​January 15th, 2017
Film – 2pm | Discussion – 4pm
NW Film Forum – 1515 12th Ave, Seattle
Suggested donation: $15
Purchase tickets here!

CrossFit WOD for Volume Monday 1/9

bench press 5x5x70%, then

Fitness

complete:
75 power snatch, 20/15kg
100 push press, 20/15kg
150 front squats, 20/15kg

Performance

for time:
75 muscle snatch, 20/15kg
100 snatch push press, 20/15kg
150 OHS, 20/15kg

Kettlebell Strength & Conditioning

Ground force

Plank/windmills warmup

Snatch skill work

Single Arm Strength Day #3
7/7 (14 total) reps a minute for 11 minutes

Olympic Weightlifting WOD – Week 3:

Day 1 – back squat, slow snatch high pull + snatch, snatch push press

Day 2 – front squat, slow clean high pull + clean + jerk, push press

Day 3 – overhead squat, snatch + snatch balance, 2 cleans + 1 jerk

Are you honest and consistent?!

This past December we were asked by Sharla to participate in the Swedish Cancer Institute Holiday Family Program. We received wish lists for two families and helped fulfill their requests for the holiday season.

Family #2 was overwhelmed and heartened with the items they received – the mother of the family thought she was just going to get a gift card! This surely was an positive way to give back to our community and a great way to end 2016.

We’re giving a huge shout out to Sharla for helping us participate in a community service to help those in need. We would like to thank everyone who donated items to each family: Craig, Zheng, Michi, Leah, Stacey S., Sheena, Andrea, Kelly, Mikey P., Teada, Nadia, Mark-Anthony, Gail, Gus, Sarah M., Colin B., Melissa, Emily C. & Ethan C. Extra shout out to Devin who brought in the most donations. Thank you everybody! We look forward to participating again in 2017!

We are offering a free Community CrossFit class this Saturday!

Are you a member here? Bring your friends, family, and/or co-workers to join us for a workout appropriate for them! It’s a great opportunity to finally bring that person you’ve been annoying with your “PRs”, “tabatas”, and untimely stretching. Show them what FCF has to offer.

Not a member, but interested in what we do here? Come on by anyway. Also feel free to bring some friends along. We’ll show you all the things you’ve been watching us do online!

These are scheduled to lead up to our Foundations On-Ramp program. The purpose of this program is to introduce interested athletes to our facility, our community, and the CrossFit methodology. It also prepares them and their “toolbox” to be ready to be released into our ongoing group classes.

These class are open to members, non-members, experienced, non-experienced CrossFit athletes. Depending on your fitness level it can also be ‘just sweaty’ or ‘super tough’. We’ll guide you through regardless. The workouts are definitely approachable and relatively non-technical, but most importantly, fun! Don’t we look like a fun group!?

You can RSVP on our online scheduling system, or just show up! (Members who RSVP to the class, we will return the class to you so that it doesn’t count against you.)

Our next On-ramp will run January 17th through February 11th. The full course is 12 classes, 4-weeks. Click here for details.

Choose one of the following series:
– 7:00am Tuesday, Thursday & 10:00am on Saturdays
– 11:00am Tuesday, Thursday & 10:00am on Saturdays
– 7:30pm Tuesday, Thursday & 10:00am on Saturdays

Check out our free Community CrossFit Class to get a feel for what we offer!

The complete Foundations Program is a 4-week, 12-class course for $275. Take the first 3 classes for $100. After the completion of the first week, you have the option of completing the remaining classes in the course for an additional $175.