In the world of fitness, there are few events as exhilarating and transformative as the CrossFit Open.
For those immersed in the CrossFit community, it’s an annual highlight, eagerly anticipated and passionately embraced.
What is the CrossFit Open, and why should you consider participating?
The CrossFit Open serves as the initial stage of the CrossFit Games season, inviting athletes of all levels, from beginners to seasoned pros, to test their fitness and compete against themselves and others around the globe. Participants complete three workouts across three weeks, and submit their scores online for validation.
You’ve been working hard and we can see it! Your confidence has grown and your performance has risen, and the CrossFit Open serves as an annual benchmark of progress and improvement.
Each workout presents a unique challenge, pushing you to confront your strengths, weaknesses, and mental barriers. The workouts are designed to be scalable and adaptable. Apply your fitness towards the test, and you may even surprise yourself with how well you do.
FOUNDATION and the 2024 CrossFit Open
Get excited! We will do the Open workouts together on Saturdays in March. You’ll find yourself surrounded by a supportive network of fellow participants, coaches, and friends, all cheering you on to push your limits and achieve your best.
- Saturday March 2, March 9, and March 16
- 8:45am: Doors open for warm-up and mobilizing.
- 9:15am: Welcome and workout introduction. Heats will begin after a 10-minute break.
- Cheer each other on and participate to win prizes. Each week we’ll hold a raffle and give out prizes at the end of each event.
- Each week will have its own theme. You’re encouraged to dress up and bring a food item to share!
Our Gift to You!
We’re building on this fantastic momentum with challenging WOD programming and an incredible team of coaches to guide you to continued gains.
What’s on deck? More coaches, more classes, more workshops, more community giveback, and ultimately, more opportunities to grow and develop your fitness!
Big news: We’re adding another day to our CrossFit programming! Starting Tuesday, September 5, you’ll see CrossFit classes on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. The schedule updates are outlined in red:
We have been working hard to develop our aspiring coaches as well as bringing experienced coaches to our team. They are all a great fit for our community and I know you’ll love them.
A larger team means we can offer more classes as well as additional workshops, personal training, and nutrition consultations. If you haven’t met any of our coaches yet, you’ll be able to find them in our PushPress reservation system!
⛅️ New morning coaches: We aim to provide a variety of coaches throughout our schedule, so you’ll soon see Daisy, Josh, Dave Numme, and Tony sprinkled in with Coach Dave in the mornings.
🎉 Congratulations to Coach Nathan on his new status as a dad! We can’t wait to meet Kinsley, our future CrossFit Games competitor! Nathan will return in September on Tuesday or Thursday evenings.
👋🏼 Introducing Coach PJ: PJ is our newest coach to join our team, and comes to us with over 7 years of coaching and CrossFit experience. If you haven’t taken a class from him yet, he’s great!
Finally, we’ve restocked our LifeAid products, including the Hawaiian Nectar Sports Recovery flavor. For every can of this flavor that is sold, a donation is made to Maui recovery efforts. Spread aloha! 💛
Looking forward to fun times and continued achievements. See you at the gym!
First off, I want to thank Andrew for everything he has contributed to building and developing FOUNDATION Gym, from the early buildout of our first Capitol Hill space to the expansion projects involving both South Lake Union and Capitol Hill. We have all learned a ton from your love of CrossFit and all things related, and we have built a solid community of fitness around it. Best of luck on your future endeavors and we hope to see you around!
Looking forward to 2023 at FOUNDATION, we will continue to strive to provide the best fitness experience in Capitol Hill and all of Seattle. As Andrew’s departure has been in the planning stages for some time, here are some things to look forward to:
- Coach Dave will be programming the upcoming cycle as we aim to come together for the annual CrossFit Games Open throwdown at the gym starting mid-February. Fun fact: David competed at the CrossFit Games in 2012 on Team Jet City CrossFit, so he’ll have plenty of challenging workouts to help you prepare! (Sign up for the Judges Course and register for the CrossFit Games Open!)
- We will migrate Workout Of the Day (WOD) programming to the same PushPress app you’re already using, so you will be able to see the workouts as well as reserve your classes together in the same app.
- We’ll also give you the option to look ahead to see what’s in store for the upcoming week so you can plan your workouts. Keep an eye on the app’s Social tab to get the latest news.
- We welcome Coach Josh to our team, who has been doing CrossFit since 2012, starting overseas and more recently in Oregon. He is currently in post-graduate studies at Seattle University, focusing on Exercise Research in the SU Human Performance Lab. He hopes to bring a lot of performance-based knowledge to your workouts.
- We will soon welcome Coach Jenny to our team, who has been an athlete with FOUNDATION since 2021. She is a Physical Therapist with years of experience, and we are happy to add her functional movement expertise to the team!
- Based on your feedback, more apparel items are coming. We know how much you like to rep FOUNDATION outside the gym.
- More fresh equipment and mobility tools are on the way. Take care of your bodies before, during, and after the workouts.
- We aim to grow our class schedule as we continue to bring on more coaches. If you love the FOUNDATION community and want to join our team, send us an email and we’ll guide you from there!
From all of us at the FOUNDATION team, we wish you all a happy holiday season, and look forward to seeing all of you in the gym through the end of the year and into 2023!
HAPPY 2023 EVERYONE! Be safe tonight (and all nights) and here’s to all the success and lessons in the new year.
SKILLS for Saturday 12/31/2022 is the BENCH PRESS
WORKOUT for Sat 12/31/2022
3 rounds for time:
12 back squats, 45/70/100kg
The barbell must be taken from the floor- no racks! Post time to whiteboard.
As we move into the new year there will be a few changes to how things are run at FOUNDATION GYM.
1. The blog will be no more. As this was something I was keen on to provide photos, news, and insight alongside the workouts that will no longer be the case. You can find your class programming on PushPress. Consolidation for the win!
2. GYMNASTICS will be archived for the time being. When the athletes demand more, the gym will provide, so please- continue telling the staff what you want to see in your training options.
3. There will be another post for tomorrow if you plan to attend classes.
Lastly, it’s been a pleasure seeing all of you evolve as athletes. It may have not hit you during your orientation, but we believe that if you have a body you are an athlete. It’s something I’ve stood for for a long time, and something I saw the fitness industry fail at largely. The opponent isn’t the other gym down the street- it’s being static. It’s not knowing how capable and how full of potential you are.
If I’ve left you anything I hope it’s that you are capable of more, regardless of your current station in life. I hope you’ve seen the power of doing things well alongside the power of hard (sometimes unwanted) work and dedication can yield.
I hope you know how awesome you are and that you should celebrate that every damn day.
WORKOUT for Champagne Friday 12/30/2022
5 rounds for time:
as many rounds and reps as possible in 20:00
Post results to whiteboard
ENGINE for Fri 12/30
AMRAP in 20:00
~200 single unders
BODYBUILDING for Fri 12/30
In any order:
a.) max DB bench press in 5:00 then 300 banded pull aparts
b.) 3×20 RDL
3×20 Sumo RDL
3×20 Dimel deadlift
c.) 3+ rounds
12 Viper presses, heavy
barbell bicep 21’s (full range, bottom range, top range)
GYMNASTICS for Fri 12/30
Time to test what you’ve learned and set you up for future success
Build your own 40-minute EMOM
b. midline (static)
d. midline (dynamic)
e. high-level skill
… and that’s it.
Join us tomorrow for the final Champagne Friday of 2022 and my final shift as head coach and co-owner tomorrow evening. Last workout is at 5:30pm, with the celebration starting at 6:30pm!
We’ll have some drinks and snacks on hand, but you should definitely BYOB just in case.
SKILLS for Thursday 12/29/2022 is the JERK
CompEx for Thurs 12/29
8 barbell Z-press @2011
8-10 ab-rollouts @3011
8-10 landmine row @2111
8-10 landmine cossack squat @2111
every 8:00 x 4 sets
10 power cleans, 43/56/80kg
Santa Finisher #2
THROWBACK for Thurs 12/29
WORKOUT for Working Womxn’s Wednesday 12/28/2022
“12 Days of CrossFit”
in cumulative song format, for time:
100m run/150m row
2x 25′ bear crawl
4 DB clean & jerks, 2×20/35/50lbs
5 dive-bomber pushups
7 kettlebell swings, 12/16/24kg
9 (ring) dips
10 squat thrusts/burpees
12 rocking pistols
or make up a 40-minute EMOM rotating through 4-5 stations! Post time to whiteboard!
ENGINE for Wed 12/28
50 calorie row
30 push press
50 burpee over rower
50 calorie bike
30 power clean
Rx = 30/50/70kg. Post time to whiteboard.
BODYBUILDING for Wed 12/28
8 one-arm DB chest fly/side
8 one-arm DB lat pullover/side
12 one-arm row/side
12 one-arm rear delt fly/side
15 drag curl negatives (or KB towel curls)
15 JM press
SKILLS for Tuesday 12/27/2022 is the CLEAN
CompEx for Tues 12/27
40-80 double unders
1-2 rope climbs
:30 freestanding or wall-facing handstand march
8-10 tempo split squats @3011
4-6 tempo nordic curls @4011
8-10 tempo double-kettlebell bent over rows @2111
a. :45 wall sit
b. 15 wall ball
c. :45 strict pullup
d. 26 seated banded row
GYMNASTICS for Tues 12/27
6 (strict) pullups
12 single leg squats
24 shoulder taps (plank > wall HS)/24′ handstand walk