MURPH tomorrow at 10am!
I just sent this email to everyone RSVPed to tomorrow’s lone 10am class for Memorial Day MURPH. Tips, tricks, and general recommendations…Hey Gang
I wanted to shoot everyone RSVP’ed a prep email to get yourself ready for the big workout tomorrow- regardless if you’re a seasoned veteran or brand new to our style of training.
300 air squats
Partition the pull-ups, push-ups, and squats as needed. Start and finish with a mile run. If you’ve got a twenty pound vest or body armor, wear it.
This workout was created by CrossFit HQ in memory of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005.
This workout was one of Mike’s favorites and he’d named it ‘Body Armor.’ It first appeared on the CrossFit site 18 August 2005.
PULLUP: Arms must start with elbows locked out, chin goes higher than the hands to count the rep. Rx is unassisted, Rx+ is with vest, Scale with jumping chest-to-bar, ring pullups, or ring rows.
PUSHUP: Arms must start with elbows locked, body in a straight line. The chest should hit the ground and the rep ends when the arms return to locked elbows (maintaining good body line). Scaling occurs with body snaking, pushups off the knees, and elevated-hands pushups.
SQUAT: Legs locked and hips open to start, the hip crease drops below the top of the knee, then you must return to the start position to count the rep. The last week or so of training we’ve been able to practice these at fatigue and many of you cut that range very short when tired. Maintain good movement standards to maximize your fitness and to keep your joints healthy. You can use a depth-gauge like a medicine ball to your advantage and we can use things like benches and boxes to scale that range of motion if needed.
- Hydrate now as we expect a full house of athletes. It’ll feel hot, even with the Beyonce fans pushing air at full blast. Bring a full bottle of water with you to the gym!
- If you’re sore or tight right now it’d be a good idea to get some easy movement in today. You could jump onto our YouTube channel to find a workout or stretching routine if you missed Yoga this morning.
- Get a good night’s rest tonight so you’ve got a full charge on your battery!
- Wear comfortable and flexible apparel for this workout and for the run – especially your shoes for those two miles.
- How are your hands? Got your grips? Take care of those calluses so you don’t rip on the pullups.
- Plan on wearing a vest or ruck/weighted backpack? Prep it now and make sure it fits comfortably.
- We have a turnaround mile marker at 12th & Jefferson (the far end of the block the SU track is on). There are a bunch of Foundation CrossFit stickers on the crosswalk sign.
- Don’t hit failure and don’t fail reps if this is your first MURPH. Switch up your movements and scale leverage/reps before going further.
- We’ll open doors pretty early so feel free to come in a get some general warmup and joint prep in. I’ll have something on a whiteboard if you need some suggestions.
Since the 100/200/300 can be partitioned you can use any of the following strategies:
- 20 rounds of 5 pullups, 10 shups, 15 squats
- 20 rounds of 5 shups, 5 pullups, 5 shups, 15 squats if you know the pushups burn out fast
- 33 rounds of 3 pullups, 6 shups, 9 squats + an extra round of 1 pullup, 2 pushups, 3 squats
- 25 rounds of 4pullups, 8 shups, 12 squats
- 50 rounds of 2pullups, 4 shups, 6 squats
- Unpartitioned: complete all 100 pullups before the 200 pushups then after finishing the 200 pushups do the 300 squats.
Management all really depends on how big of a set you can handle without hitting fatigue, and/or how many transitions you can make. I’ve also seen some people who try to front load the squats so they only end the time in the gym with pullups and pushups to have fresher legs for the final run.
In any long-duration CrossFit workouts that open with a cardio-based buy-in, the opening mile run won’t win you this workout, but it could ruin things for you. Start out with a comfortable pace, get the nerves out, then gradually pick up the pace as the run wears on. You don’t want to burn out on the first run because it only accounts for the first 10:00 or so of a potentially-50:00 workout
Can’t run? Try a 2k row/ski or 5k bike.
We’re excited to throw down tomorrow and are pumped to see all the effort!
Remember: we’re firing up the grill, but we won’t be providing too much food or drink. BYOBeer/beef/Beyond meat alternatives and we’ll be hanging out until 1:30pm or so. Feel free to bring your non-symptomatic vaccinated fam and friends too!
Questions? Hit us up. Have a happy rest of your Sunday!