First off, I want to thank Andrew for everything he has contributed to building and developing FOUNDATION Gym, from the early buildout of our first Capitol Hill space to the expansion projects involving both South Lake Union and Capitol Hill. We have all learned a ton from your love of CrossFit and all things related, and we have built a solid community of fitness around it. Best of luck on your future endeavors and we hope to see you around!
Looking forward to 2023 at FOUNDATION, we will continue to strive to provide the best fitness experience in Capitol Hill and all of Seattle. As Andrew’s departure has been in the planning stages for some time, here are some things to look forward to:
- Coach Dave will be programming the upcoming cycle as we aim to come together for the annual CrossFit Games Open throwdown at the gym starting mid-February. Fun fact: David competed at the CrossFit Games in 2012 on Team Jet City CrossFit, so he’ll have plenty of challenging workouts to help you prepare! (Sign up for the Judges Course and register for the CrossFit Games Open!)
- We will migrate Workout Of the Day (WOD) programming to the same PushPress app you’re already using, so you will be able to see the workouts as well as reserve your classes together in the same app.
- We’ll also give you the option to look ahead to see what’s in store for the upcoming week so you can plan your workouts. Keep an eye on the app’s Social tab to get the latest news.
- We welcome Coach Josh to our team, who has been doing CrossFit since 2012, starting overseas and more recently in Oregon. He is currently in post-graduate studies at Seattle University, focusing on Exercise Research in the SU Human Performance Lab. He hopes to bring a lot of performance-based knowledge to your workouts.
- We will soon welcome Coach Jenny to our team, who has been an athlete with FOUNDATION since 2021. She is a Physical Therapist with years of experience, and we are happy to add her functional movement expertise to the team!
- Based on your feedback, more apparel items are coming. We know how much you like to rep FOUNDATION outside the gym.
- More fresh equipment and mobility tools are on the way. Take care of your bodies before, during, and after the workouts.
- We aim to grow our class schedule as we continue to bring on more coaches. If you love the FOUNDATION community and want to join our team, send us an email and we’ll guide you from there!
From all of us at the FOUNDATION team, we wish you all a happy holiday season, and look forward to seeing all of you in the gym through the end of the year and into 2023!
HAPPY 2023 EVERYONE! Be safe tonight (and all nights) and here’s to all the success and lessons in the new year.
SKILLS for Saturday 12/31/2022 is the BENCH PRESS
WORKOUT for Sat 12/31/2022
3 rounds for time:
12 back squats, 45/70/100kg
The barbell must be taken from the floor- no racks! Post time to whiteboard.
As we move into the new year there will be a few changes to how things are run at FOUNDATION GYM.
1. The blog will be no more. As this was something I was keen on to provide photos, news, and insight alongside the workouts that will no longer be the case. You can find your class programming on PushPress. Consolidation for the win!
2. GYMNASTICS will be archived for the time being. When the athletes demand more, the gym will provide, so please- continue telling the staff what you want to see in your training options.
3. There will be another post for tomorrow if you plan to attend classes.
Lastly, it’s been a pleasure seeing all of you evolve as athletes. It may have not hit you during your orientation, but we believe that if you have a body you are an athlete. It’s something I’ve stood for for a long time, and something I saw the fitness industry fail at largely. The opponent isn’t the other gym down the street- it’s being static. It’s not knowing how capable and how full of potential you are.
If I’ve left you anything I hope it’s that you are capable of more, regardless of your current station in life. I hope you’ve seen the power of doing things well alongside the power of hard (sometimes unwanted) work and dedication can yield.
I hope you know how awesome you are and that you should celebrate that every damn day.
WORKOUT for Champagne Friday 12/30/2022
5 rounds for time:
as many rounds and reps as possible in 20:00
Post results to whiteboard
ENGINE for Fri 12/30
AMRAP in 20:00
~200 single unders
BODYBUILDING for Fri 12/30
In any order:
a.) max DB bench press in 5:00 then 300 banded pull aparts
b.) 3×20 RDL
3×20 Sumo RDL
3×20 Dimel deadlift
c.) 3+ rounds
12 Viper presses, heavy
barbell bicep 21’s (full range, bottom range, top range)
GYMNASTICS for Fri 12/30
Time to test what you’ve learned and set you up for future success
Build your own 40-minute EMOM
b. midline (static)
d. midline (dynamic)
e. high-level skill
… and that’s it.
Join us tomorrow for the final Champagne Friday of 2022 and my final shift as head coach and co-owner tomorrow evening. Last workout is at 5:30pm, with the celebration starting at 6:30pm!
We’ll have some drinks and snacks on hand, but you should definitely BYOB just in case.
SKILLS for Thursday 12/29/2022 is the JERK
CompEx for Thurs 12/29
8 barbell Z-press @2011
8-10 ab-rollouts @3011
8-10 landmine row @2111
8-10 landmine cossack squat @2111
every 8:00 x 4 sets
10 power cleans, 43/56/80kg
Santa Finisher #2
THROWBACK for Thurs 12/29
WORKOUT for Working Womxn’s Wednesday 12/28/2022
“12 Days of CrossFit”
in cumulative song format, for time:
100m run/150m row
2x 25′ bear crawl
4 DB clean & jerks, 2×20/35/50lbs
5 dive-bomber pushups
7 kettlebell swings, 12/16/24kg
9 (ring) dips
10 squat thrusts/burpees
12 rocking pistols
or make up a 40-minute EMOM rotating through 4-5 stations! Post time to whiteboard!
ENGINE for Wed 12/28
50 calorie row
30 push press
50 burpee over rower
50 calorie bike
30 power clean
Rx = 30/50/70kg. Post time to whiteboard.
BODYBUILDING for Wed 12/28
8 one-arm DB chest fly/side
8 one-arm DB lat pullover/side
12 one-arm row/side
12 one-arm rear delt fly/side
15 drag curl negatives (or KB towel curls)
15 JM press
SKILLS for Tuesday 12/27/2022 is the CLEAN
CompEx for Tues 12/27
40-80 double unders
1-2 rope climbs
:30 freestanding or wall-facing handstand march
8-10 tempo split squats @3011
4-6 tempo nordic curls @4011
8-10 tempo double-kettlebell bent over rows @2111
a. :45 wall sit
b. 15 wall ball
c. :45 strict pullup
d. 26 seated banded row
GYMNASTICS for Tues 12/27
6 (strict) pullups
12 single leg squats
24 shoulder taps (plank > wall HS)/24′ handstand walk
CrossFit and GT for 9/10/11am only!
WORKOUT for Monday 12/26/2022
every 7 minutes for 21 minutes:
20 DB bent-over row, 2×20/35/50lbs
30 DB step-ups, 12/20/24
400m run (or equivalent)
Rest the remainder of the interval before going again. Post attendance to whiteboard!
CONDITIONING for Mon 12/26